Biohazard Action Alliance
Brisbane Queensland Australia.
You are the visitor to this site.
Counter started 28 November 1999
The Biohazard Action Alliance (BAA) has been formed from an amalgamation of local community groups that are opposed to the inappropriate location of Biotechnology Research Laboratories within the residential environs of Brisbane.
The Biohazard Action Alliance (BAA) has been formed from an amalgamation of local community groups that are opposed to the inappropriate location of Biotechnology Research Laboratories within the residential environs of Brisbane. Our membership comprises the St.Lucia Residents' Association (SRA), the Long Pocket Concerned Residents' Group (LPCRG), the Ironsides Residents' Association (IRA), and the Residents Against Intensive Development (RAID), that have variously been operating for many years or that have "sprung up" in response to the threat posed by the "gene tech factories" proposed under the Government's "SmartState" initiative.
Our support base numbers in the thousands, which can only snowball as the community become aware of the hitherto clandestine implications of Premier Beattie's so-called Centre of Excellence in Biotechnology, which is purported to become a major hub of the Asia Pacific Rim.
The residents are vigorously opposed to the Natural Sciences Precinct (NSP), being built on the site of existing smaller laboratory facilities, currently owned by the CSIRO and the Queensland State Government, in conjunction with the University of Queensland; and the Joint Building Project of the UQ / CSIRO (comprising the Institute for Molecular Biology and the CSIRO Divisions of Tropical Agriculture, Health Sciences and Human Nutrition, and Plant Industry), on the site of the existing Cunningham Laboratories adjoining the UQ St Lucia Campus, at Carmody Road, in residential St Lucia.
- 50 Harmful Effects of Genetically Modified Foods
- Gas blast: judge slams Esso
- Testimony by Stuart A. Newman, Ph.D.
- IAHF List
- Work has started at UQ and so has the pollution and heavy trucks.
- Biotech Milk
- Vote NO in Time Magazine GM Poll
- Will Supermarkets join the push?
- Jimbo joins the circus Press Release
- Consultation Principles
- Beattie acts to halt panic lab clearing
- Placards can help see picture page
- New Scientist 27 Feb 99
- New Scientist 17 Apr 99
- Press Release 1
- Associated Press 14 Sep 99
- Letter to Premier 15 Sep 99
- Letter to Editor 17 Sep 99
- Submission 9 Oct 99 Public Works Committee
- Letter to Premier 12 Oct 99
- Reuters 19 Oct 99
- Letter to Premier 20 Oct 99
- Courier Mail 3 Nov 99
- Letter to Premier 3 Nov 99
- Sunday Mail 28 Nov 99
- Letter to Deputy Premier 28 Nov 99
- Letter to W. Edmond 28 Nov 99
- Alumina safety slated 28 Nov 99
- Who's watching this site
- To: Biotechnology Australia 30 Nov 99
- Children's Site TAKE A LOOK AT THIS PAGE
- Letter to Lord Mayor Brisbane 30 Nov 99
- Rural Advancement Foundation International 1 Dec 99
- Bulldozer diplomacy
- Pros and Cons
- Deutsche bank report
- The World-wide Debate Over GMO Foods
- Residents Against Intensive Development
- Letter to Deputy Premier 2 DEC 99
- Corporate Subsidies
- DUPONT: "CHEATING CONSCIOUSLY, DELIBERATELY"
- Biopiracy Project
- Letter to Union Carbine Shareholders
- Burning GM Crop
- ABOUT GENETICALLY ENGINEERED FOOD
- DR. JOHN HAGELIN TESTIFIES AT WASHINGTON
- B.A.A. Media Release 3 DEC 1999
- Risk Management Plans
- good neighbour agreement
- Greenpeace 2 DEC 99
- Press Release 5 DEC 99
- International Campaign for Responsible Technology
- Seattle Times expose
- Right to Act
- Seattle Times 5 DEC 1999
- Seattle Times 5 DEC 1999 WTO
- Greenpeace WTO
- Sydney Morning Herald 5 DEC 99 WTO
- More WTO items 1
- Monsanto about milk and labelling of GM products (A MUST READ ITEM)
- Goodman Fielder / cottonseed oil
- GE Crops Reuters 14 Oct 99
- Union Carbide actions in India
- Seattle police actions
- NPI 1 Mar 98
- Toxic Network
- WE ALL LIVE IN BHOPAL!
- Navy Doctor Blows Whistle
- Town humiliated in pesticide scare
- Letter to BCC officer
- Greed is good isn't it?
- Winning design announced for massive UQ/CSIRO bioscience project
- UQ have announced their IMB website
- Gail Austen letter
- New York Times Magazine DEC 13, 1999
- Center for Media & Democracy
- A bigger drum stick. Eat your heart out KFC.
- Canola Oil
- Recent Studies Point To Concerns
- Rodale Study Finds
- Genetically modified plants may still need pesticides
- OCA Organizes Successful FDA Hearing Protest
- Victory At WTO Meeting
- 10 years of warnings
- Protesters Rally Vs. 'Frankenfoods'
- Hunger Strike to Ban Genetically Engineered Milk
- Corruption comes in many forms
- * New life form breakthrough*
- Saving the Planet With Pestilent Statistics
- EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT BANS GM FOOD
- Update on the Narangba Irradiation Plant
- Pesticide Action Network Updates Service
- Pesticide scam left homes to termites
- Cancer & the Environment
- Biosafety Protocol historic step in fight against
- Planning laws ignored
- Good News: News
- "Ag Biotech: Thanks, But No Thanks?"
- Montreal agreement puts brakes on "frankenfoods
- Promise to cancel Natural Science Precinct if our political party wins office.
- Other links to concerned groups
This page is maintained by
The Rivermouth Action Group Inc
as a community service.
The Rivermouth Action Group Inc appreciates the support from
for their financial assistance in maintaining our phone link to the Internet and the community.